Cannot get Netgear MA311 to work no matter what!

I've been trying for almost a week to get my Netgear MA311 wireless pci card to configure and become operational but NOTHING works! I bought this card because wvlan-linux said it used prism2 so I thought it wouldn't be that much trouble.

Linux Networking 361 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
I've been trying for almost a week to get my Netgear MA311 wireless pci card to configure and become operational but NOTHING works! I bought this card because wvlan-linux said it used prism2 so I thought it wouldn't be that much trouble. I've tried it under Mdk 10 with the 2.6 and 2.4 kernel, I've tried it under Mdk 9, Fedora Core1, Morphix Gnome, Kanotix, Knoppix STD, Damn small, and nothing makes this card work! I go:

modprobe orinoco_pci

which returns no errors

then:

iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc nick "" essid "dapper" channel 6
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.105
ifconfig eth0 up

The light on the card stops flashing at this point but iI cannot connect.
I've tried it on eth1 and eth0, and neither works.

This is very frustrating in that I've read on line where others report this card working, but when I try the methods they say, it still will not work!
Hell, I even installed Windows 98 to see if I could get it working with it! Although I didn't know how to make it connect to the internet, the Netgear setup utility DID see my Linksys Wireless G router so there shouldn't be anything wrong with the card itself.

The Linksys wireless G works well with the Orinoco gold card in my wife's Toshiba laptop right out of the box as it is backwards compatible with 802.11b.

I'm out of ideas here and am grasping at straws. ANYTHING that anyone might be able to contribute that may help me figure this out, please let me know!!

Thanks

Dapper Dan

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-08-10
lollolololoL

lOOKS LIKE I GOT MIXED UP!!!

I have a Belkin 54g Wireless Network Card!

back to drawing board!

Thanks anyway

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

336 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-09
sorry, but there aren't any Broadcom drivers except those provided for Windows.

You can use the Windows drivers under Linux, however, if you purchase
the inexpensive "DriverLoader" product from Linuxant.

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-08-10
Thanks buddy! I have also been looking at:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net

It seems to do the same sort of thing. I would rather use the free opensource version but the documentation is soooo poor for a newbie that I cannot understand. (A common problem with opensource)

Thanks,

Richard.

data/avatar/default/avatar21.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-28
Good news Kmart shoppers. I had all of these problems and more with Redhat 9.0 so I downloaded Fedora 2 (make sure you don't download the SRPMS or whatever but the actual install disks) and then install it. When done, inside the xwindow system, select System Tools and then Internet Configuration Wizard. It will have your Prism2 card available from the menu and you hit forward and enter in all of the pertenant data. When done, click on enable from the icons menu and it may give an error. Disregard it and start surfing in Linux on your MA311 Netgear Wireless card.

Enjoy.