Cant find a way to install Mandrake 10.1

I downloaded the 3CD ISO images for Mandrake v10. 1 off one of the ftp mirrors on the official website, and then I burned all 3 images to CD's. I've tried to boot from the CD but I get an error saying something like it's not a bootable disc.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-03-24
I downloaded the 3CD ISO images for Mandrake v10.1 off one of the ftp mirrors on the official website, and then I burned all 3 images to CD's. I've tried to boot from the CD but I get an error saying something like it's not a bootable disc. When I put the CD in the computer and let it from autorun, it comes to the welcome screen. But the whole left side wont do anything when I try to click on any of them (Install, Install w/ floppy, and Join the Mandrakelinux Community). The rest of them work fine. But this is a problem because I can't install Mandrake.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

165 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-30
-Make sure you have burned all of your 3CDs correctly(tell your CD burner application that you are burning ISO images, and not as data format and don't use re-writable cds)
-Once you done burning the images, pop in the CD1 into your cd-rom and reboot computer (it shoould bring up a boot loading screen, so you can start your installation)
-If CD1 is not recognized at boot, makes sure your bios settins say to boot up from cd-rom.

If this doen't work, all I can suggest is to try out the LiveCDs at htttp://www.distrowatch.com and try out Mepis, knoppix, etc. which come in just one LiveCD (a LiveCD has basically has an OS in a CD and they won't touch your current data in your computer, and you can install the OS to your HD if you want to)

Good luck.

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
You may want to take a look at my quick quide on burning iso images located here.

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Thanks! It is a work in progress, so suggestions are welcome. I thought that it was helpful to get it out to use, but corrections may be needed as we go on.

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

165 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-30
Danleff, how about a section for burning DVD ISOs. I think you can download the mandrake's ISO dvd version and burn them as well, right. Just as suggestion.

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Hehe..., Mandrake is a little picky about this. they offer high speed access to the image, IF you are a member. One has to hunt for a valid image that actually shows the correct size that the image should be. My experience is a little narrow on DVD, but I guess there is a file limitation size on Windows (2 gig) for downloads, so linux is the answer. If you have a source for Mandrake, say, the new beta, let me know and I will give it a go!