Dell 9200 Laptop, Fedora Core 4, ipw2200 and sound problems

This is a problem that I have not been able to figure out on my own so far. I ran Fedora Core 3 on this 9200 laptop previously, and could not get the internal wifi NIC to work. I thought I would have better luck in FC4, but instead I still can't get the internal wifi NIC to work AND I have lost sound as well.

Linux Hardware 765 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-27
This is a problem that I have not been able to figure out on my own so far. I ran Fedora Core 3 on this 9200 laptop previously, and could not get the internal wifi NIC to work. I thought I would have better luck in FC4, but instead I still can't get the internal wifi NIC to work AND I have lost sound as well. To recap...

For the internal wifi NIC, I installed FC4, all went fine, the installed 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 kernel comes with the ipw2200 driver I guess, so I installed the firmware RPM (ipw2200-firmware-2.3-2.fc) and rebooted as directed. All documentation I have found says that the New Hardware dialog box should come up after this reboot, but I have yet to ever see this dialog box. The system comes back up, but no new hardware is found. I can "modprobe ipw2200" and the module is loaded, but not sure what else I can do from that point. This is about the end of what I know about Linux interals and troubleshooting hardware issues on it. Linux is so good about autodetecting hardware nowadays, I have forgotten what to do when it doesn't work. So, any suggestions on what I might be missing or what I can do to make FC4 recognize this NIC would be greatly appreciated.

For the sound, I'm completely stumped. It worked fine in FC3, and the device was detected correctly I think, and volume is up, I think everything checks out, but no sound:

[root@localhost ~]# lsmod | grep -i snd
snd_intel8x0m 19589 0
snd_intel8x0 34689 1
snd_ac97_codec 75961 2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0

Where can I check for any errors?

Thanks!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-29
Hello,

For what it's worth, I run FC4 on an hp 5346us laoptop, and I only got everything(except card reader) to run when I used an .smp kernel.

Hope this helps.

JBoyd.

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-10-01
I'm running FC4 on a dell 700m. I did everything as youre suppose to, but for some reason it was not recognizing the card.

Open up network device control under system tools.

Once opened up click configure. Your then going to click on "new" to add a new device. Select wireless connnection as the type. On the next screen you should see your card. Select it, configure it. Now you should have 2 devices under your network configuration screen.

I find that NetworkManager is very usefull in managing connections. You can find a howto here

http://www.fedorajim.homelinux.com/pages/NetworkManagerInfo.html