DVD Recorder LG 4163B

Hello I'd like to know the difficulty to install the LG4163B with Mandriva. There is no firmware by LG. What are the DVD recorders which have a good compatibility with Linux ? I don't find any clear informations on this subject.

Linux Hardware 765 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-12-26
Hello
I'd like to know the difficulty to install the LG4163B with Mandriva. There is no firmware by LG.
What are the DVD recorders which have a good compatibility with Linux ? I don't find any clear informations on this subject.
Thanks

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Is this the firewire model? I have no experience with this, but you can look up any drive that you are considering to buy and see if it is certified with mandriva as working.

The database is located here

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

18 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-07
I've been using the HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B dvives (x2) {Internal-ide connected} under SuSE 9.2/3 and now under SuSE10.0 with no problems at all. I would guess that mandriva would be simiar.

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Actually, are you referring to the issue with Mandrake 9.2 (not Mandriva) "killing" LG cdrom drives? This was an issue with Mandrake 9.2 and is no longer a problem.

A copy of the article by NewsForge is located here.

There was a firmware fix for the drives, but this is no longer an issue with the current releases of Mandriva.