HELP!!

I just installed the nvidia drivers for my red hat 9 installation and now i cant boot it up anymore. There will be alot of error messages appearing on my screen and i cant even boot into console mode.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-06
I just installed the nvidia drivers for my red hat 9 installation and now i cant boot it up anymore. There will be alot of error messages appearing on my screen and i cant even boot into console mode. Somebody help me!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
You aren't getting a username prompt? If not, try pressing Ctrl-Alt-c, and see if you get a $. If you are getting a prompt, sign in and become root..

su [enter]

password [enter]

Did you change "nv" to "nvidia" in you XF86Config? If so, and you aren't getting a screen, change it back to "nv", and you should get X again. If you can post the exact errors you are getting, I feel certain someone here can help troubleshoot it with you. Probably getting the "cannot find a usable screen" error. Knowing the distro you are running will help too.

Edit: If you used Gedit or Kedit to change your XF86Config you'll now have to edit it from the command line. After becoming root go..

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config [enter]

Use the up and down arrows to get where you need to be. Be sure to press the "insert" key before editing or it won't take. Also, after editing and making sure it is correct, pree Esc then :x and enter to close and save it.

Now reboot, and you should have your old "nv" screen back.

Edit 2: The face above is written the same way as the write and quite command in vi which is a : followed by a x without a space..
[Edited by Dapper Dan on 2004-05-08 00:41:38]

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Yes, also, make sure that the changes did take place, as DapperDan suggested, by looking at XF86Config.

Quote:NOTE: In other distros or versions, take note that you may need to comment out the entries in XF86Config-4 (or XF86Config, if your distro does not have the XF86Config-4 file), such as “load DRI” and “load GLCore.” Fedora, for example, uses a LOAD DRI entry that needs to be commented out (by putting a hash mark # before the entry, on the line that the entry resides on.  
Also look to see if you commented out any entries related to LOAD DRI and LOAD GLCore (near the top of the file) that can cause these errors to occur.

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-06
OP
I'm using red hat 9.0. And i tink the problem is more serious cos instead of all the green OKs that appears on my screen when it boots up, alot of FAILED appears. The system will hang when its a the "system logger" part.

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
I would just re-install. Quicker, and the path of least resistance. You did install /home to it's own partition?

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
By the way, now would be a great time to update to Fedora Core 1. I've used RH 9 extensively, and Fedora is much better and more bug free.

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-06
OP
I m still waiting for FC 2 then i'll download.

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-06
OP
I m still waiting for FC 2 then i'll download.