Help w/ Compaq SR1210NX

This is a brand new computer and I'm trying to setup Mandrake 10. 1 on it, and when it boots (CD), it's boots fine, but when i hit enter to start setup the PC reboots. .

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-11
This is a brand new computer and I'm trying to setup Mandrake 10.1 on it, and when it boots (CD), it's boots fine, but when i hit enter to start setup the PC reboots.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Let's start with the basics first.

Did you purchase the set of CD's, or burn them yourself?

If you burned them, what speed did you burn them at? ISO's like to be burned at 4X or 8X speed, no faster, on quality media, preferably cdr media.

I assume that you inserted the cd burned with iso #1 to boot of off, not disk #2?

Sometimes you get a bad iso image. Did you verify the iso checksum of the disk to assure that the image was valid and downloaded fully?

data/avatar/default/avatar09.webp

175 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-25
Also check bios, I know for a while that some manufactures put a function that would lock the drives from being formated(or something similiar) to prevent mistakes. Not sure if yours, also check to make sure the correct drives are setup in the computer in the bios with the right selections, ie. Dell's new 8400 series if you buy the sata drives the factory default bios make it so when a cd boot it can't find the hard drive. The reason is because it comes default to ide( i believe that is what it was) and you ahve to swtich it to sata instead. Simple things, read over your bios make sure all is right. Of course do this after waht Danleff suggested.
Daum

data/avatar/default/avatar23.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-31
I'm having the exact same problem on the exact same computer. just found your posting. If anyone can tell me how to install linux on a compaq presario sr1210nx, I'd love to know. it just reboots everytime that you try to launch the kernal. however, I did manage to boot kopex off the cd. but mandrake and debian just make it reboot when it launches the kernal

data/avatar/default/avatar13.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-11-02
This particular Compaq is kind of a crummy choice of Linux. First of all, I couldn't figure out how to install a second hard drive. The case was apparently not designed to allow that option. Second, there doesn't seem to be any entry in the BIOS that allows modifications of the power management settings.

You can get Linux CDs to boot & install but you need to add a boot parameter to disable power management or it will just reboot with most distributions.

At the command prompt most distros give your type the following boot parameter:

linux acpi=off

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Yes, that would have been my second guess, if the cd disks were OK. But this post is 11 months old, so it looks like they have moved on.