Hp a220n not accepting linux

alright i know ive posted about quite a fewquestions bout various distros but ive noticed none of them work on my hp, is my hp linux retarded or something because the only one that worked was evil e.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

309 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-24
alright i know ive posted about quite a fewquestions bout various distros but ive noticed none of them work on my hp, is my hp linux retarded or something because the only one that worked was evil e. I put on ark linux installs fine boot screen appears detects everything, then mid procedure while loading the screen goes black i left it on over night around 8 hours nothing when i wake up. But when i press the power button the screen appears and it boots to the gui, yet then it turns right off. This also happened with gentoo, debian, knoppix, morphix, featherlight,mepis, mandrake (yeah i finally got mandrake on it.), and red hat. Now i pushed it to ark last night and reset it to windows today. I looked at my hardrive it s now 111gb i know thats still rather large but before i went on trying to install linux it was at 120 gb thats a total of 9gb disappearing. What im trying to figure out is whether i should quit messing with my hp a220n (because it has a big fat sticker that says designed for win xp.), or try something i havent. Note i got all the listed distros to workj in some form on my old laptop so i know its not the distros. So is the problem the computer, or the user.

my issue is i dont want to eat much more of my hard drive.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar15.webp

173 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-03
Sorry I took so long. Couldn't remember how I did it so had to reinstall RH.
To set up internet;
1.Click on hat
2.click on 'system tools'
3.Click on 'Internet Configuration Wizard'
4.Select 'Automatically obtain IP address with dhcp'
Finish wizard and restart computer.
To set up network;
1.Click hat
2.System tools
3.Net Device Control (Network card should be listed.)
4.Click on edit
5.Click Hardware Device tab.
.....Hardware should be 'eth0(your card name)', if not,use pulldown button to select.
(mine was on 'eth1' . Had to cange to 'eth0' to get on web.)
6.Click 'General'tab
7.Select 'Activate device when computer starts' and 'Automatically obtain IP address settings with [dhcp]
8.Click 'OK'
9.Close window
10. Restart computer
Hope this helps.

309 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-24
OP
sorry mel i tried those procedures countless times and no results what soever you didnt have to reinstall red hat for me or nothing

odd thing under internet configuration it doesnt detect the card this is so frustrating i might have to try mandrake

173 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-03
Allmost forgot, I found that if you log on as root to configure network ,Iit only works as root.
To use as normal user ,I had to configure as normal user.(Still needed root PW. though.)
Haven't figured out how to make app available to all users yet.
BTW, I''m user type 3.
..Type 1 = Professional (Usually knows what he/she is doing)(Danleff,Maillon,Dapper Dan)

..Type 2 = Tired of win crashes and wants a dependable ,alternative OS

..Type 3 = Always likes to learn something new and doesn't have enough sense to quit when
.................he/she is ahead. (If I knew what I was doing, I probably wouldn't do it.)

309 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-24
OP
yeah that sounds like me type three i went to linux iso and am killing all of xps bandwith im getting the rest of the distros i can find so far i have like 30 i dont think fedora is going to work with me

also i tried switching to regular user and root same problems on all accounts

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
This is a long thread. Can I ask for a recap?

Fedora is the current distro?

You are using the stock kernel that came with Fedora, not an upgraded 2.6.x kernel?

The stock kernel should be 2.4.22.

If it is the 2.4.x series;

You installed the nForce CHIPSET drivers, not the nvidia video drivers?

The current nForce drivers do not support kernel 2.6.x yet, so they will not work in that series, if you upgrades the kernel. Rather, they should be built into the source kernel.

If all the answers are yes, then I will have to research this.

But, I understand that Fedora Core 2 will have nForce chipset support, as well as NTFS read and write capability. You may want to wait for this.

309 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-24
OP
Quote:This is a long thread. Can I ask for a recap?

Fedora is the current distro?

You are using the stock kernel that came with Fedora, not an upgraded 2.6.x kernel?

The stock kernel should be 2.4.22.

If it is the 2.4.x series;

You installed the nForce CHIPSET drivers, not the nvidia video drivers?

The current nForce drivers do not support kernel 2.6.x yet, so they will not work in that series, if you upgrades the kernel. Rather, they should be built into the source kernel.

If all the answers are yes, then I will have to research this.

But, I understand that Fedora Core 2 will have nForce chipset support, as well as NTFS read and write capability. You may want to wait for this.

fedora is the current distro no kernel changes
installed redhat 9.0 rpm drivers for nforce
then the tar files
i got something on another board but am lost on it
and i dont want to make you do the research
the kernel listed is um 2.4.22.115 i got a more current fedora ill switch over
the other forum i started is here not much help that i understand http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26149
the files i have are from here
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/ all the kernel ones
and NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_9.athlon.rpm, NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_6.athlon.rpm, NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm , NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz these are the drivers i tried to no avail any more info needed jst ask

should i maybe test fedora 2 test because i have it

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
You installed too many packages.

Quote:NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_9.athlon.rpm, NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_6.athlon.rpm, NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm , NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz these are the drivers i tried to no avail any more info needed jst ask

The RedHat packages that have "2.4.20" are for that kernel version, which you do not have.

The Athlon package is optimized for Athlon processors.

You have Fedora's packages, which means that you probably should use the source package, with the tar.gz extension.

From the nvidia installation instructions;

Quote: Nvidia has provided precompiled binary RPMs for several versions of RedHat and Mandrake. You should select the RPM appropriate to your current kernel version. You can check what kernel your machine is running by checking the output of 'uname -r'. 
If you are using a different version of Red Hat or Mandrake, a modified kernel, or a different rpm-based distribution, you should use the SRPM to build an RPM appropriate for your system. If you are using the SuSE RPM, see NOTE: SuSE INSTALLATIONS, below.

If you are using a non-RPM based system, or if you prefer not to use RPM, you should download and install from the source tarballs.

Did you try to look at the /etc/modules.conf file to see if the nvnet driver is being loaded there?

It should say on one line,

alias eth0 nvnet

As noted in the other post, did you try to do the following at a console?

/sbin/modprobe nvnet

If this does not give you an error and just returns to a prompt, this is good.

Then make sure that the alias eth0 nvnet is in the modules.conf file.

If you getno error onthe modprobe and the line is present in the modules.conf, then reboot and see if you see a line during boot like;

eth0.....................................................success.

309 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-24
OP
Quote:Allmost forgot, I found that if you log on as root to configure 3.
..Type 1 = Professional (Usually knows what he/she is doing)(Danleff,Maillon,Dapper Dan)

..Type 2 = Tired of win crashes and wants a dependable ,alternative OS

..Type 3 = Always likes to learn something new and doesn't have enough sense to quit when
.................he/she is ahead. (If I knew what I was doing, I probably wouldn't do it.)
i think for windows i would create a whole new category
like type 4
type 4=profesional knows what he/she is doing, yet likes to push limits by purposely attacking system to gain knowledge

yeah im a kamikaze i download viruses purposefuly turn off my anti virus and go after the files my self and try to save computer 90% i win i also like to rub magnets across my hard drive and try to save data

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
I propose a matrix approach, as each of us has a little of each type in us.

Type 5;

1. Get your install just the way you like it.

2. Decide to experiment and try to change things.

3. Get Partimage, install it on another distro and backup the Debian install on a gz file.

4. Trash the perfectly good Debian install while fooling with it.

5. Restore the gz file to the partition and start over.

173 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-03
My mistake !!
I'm a type 5...(Except I always forget to backup. ??hmm?? Maybe I'm type 6.)

309 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-24
OP
all right thanks danleff seeing as how i intalled too many packages im just going to reinstall fedora now i just need to figure out what rpms and srpms are

data/avatar/default/avatar37.webp

213 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-02
I'd more likely be more like a tyoe 10, but I'm really happy that one person put me in company with Danleff and Dapper! (Thanks for the ego boost!) 8)

309 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-24
OP
all right reinstalled fedora now which file should i use the exact one kernel is 2.4.22-1.115 and do you install the rpm by double clicking and then hitting run or what sorry lost on rpm and srpm