install mandrake 10.0 problem

After I booted and I have a screen with: welcome to Mandrake linux 10. 0. . . Alt F1 for here alt F3 to see the logs Alt F4 for kernel msg ANd nothing happen, even if I press Alt F1 ,alt F3 or Alt F4 How can I solve this problem?.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar23.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-22
After I booted and I have a screen with:
"welcome to Mandrake linux 10.0 ..."
"Alt F1 for here
alt F3 to see the logs
Alt F4 for kernel msg"
ANd nothing happen, even if I press Alt F1 ,alt F3 or Alt F4
How can I solve this problem?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Does it really say Alt F1 for here?

A little more information would be helpful. Mo messages after that at all, like a kernel panic error?

You do not get a command prompt?

Also post what system this is that you are installing on, some information on the system and hardware.

Was this a fresh install, or an upgrade install?

Did the install seem to complete succesfully?

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-22
OP
Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:Does it really say Alt F1 for here
A little more information would be helpful. Mo messages after that at all, like a kernel panic error? NO

You do not get a command prompt? NO

Also post what system this is that you are installing on, some information on the system and hardware.

at the time I have windows xp on the machine: a laptop
intel Pentium 4CPU 2.66 ghz
192 MO RAM
I want to install linux cd #7 mandrake 10.0

Was this a fresh install, or an upgrade install?

fresh
Did the install seem to complete succesfully?

I pressed "install", wait until the black screen with the informations I told below and then I could not do anything. Seems like the install was not complete!bold textunderlined textunderlined text

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-22
OP
Originally posted by tomsoyer:

Does it really say Alt F1 for here?yes

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
OK, this is an install problem. A couple of things.

I hope that this was a typo, there are only 4 possible cd's, 4 iso images to burn to a cd. make sure that you have the right iso's for your system configuration. If you have more than this, then you probably have iso burns for more than one computer architecture.

What exact laptop make and model is this?

There can be a problem with installing from cd #1. Try cd #2 to boot. When it prompts you that this does not seem to be an install cd, then wait for the text prompt to insert another cd and place cd #1 in the cdrom drive and see what happens. This has been reported as a problem.

Also, the usual. When you burned the cd's a good burn needs to be done, This means burning the iso image (choosing burn image from your cd burining software). I always recommend a cdr media, as cdrw's can be an issue also. If the cd #2 method does not work, it is most likely a bad burn. Burning the cd's at a slow speed, say 4X or 8X generally works.

Laptops can sometimes be an issue, as well, such as the video card.

Finally, take care on some laptops. Some have a hidden small partition that holds recovery data or bios information, such as HP and Compaq laptops.

Will this be a dual boot system (Say Windows XP and Mandrake) or a full install as the only OS on the system?

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-22
OP

Quote:OK, this is an install problem. A couple of things. 

I hope that this was a typo, there are only 4 possible cd's, 4 iso images to burn to a cd. make sure that you have the right iso's for your system configuration.

sorry: what is an iso?

If you have more than this, then you probably have iso burns for more than one computer architecture.

What exact laptop make and model is this?

a compaq (ref 311027-052)

There can be a problem with installing from cd #1. Try cd #2 to boot. When it prompts you that this does not seem to be an install cd, then wait for the text prompt to insert another cd and place cd #1 in the cdrom drive and see what happens. This has been reported as a problem.

This is not the problem I have. cd#1 is well recognize as an install cd, nut the install is not done.

Also, the usual. When you burned the cd's a good burn needs to be done, This means burning the iso image (choosing burn image from your cd burining software). I always recommend a cdr media, as cdrw's can be an issue also. If the cd #2 method does not work, it is most likely a bad burn. Burning the cd's at a slow speed, say 4X or 8X generally works.

Laptops can sometimes be an issue, as well, such as the video card.

Finally, take care on some laptops. Some have a hidden small partition that holds recovery data or bios information, such as HP and Compaq laptops.

Will this be a dual boot system (Say Windows XP and Mandrake) or a full install as the only OS on the system?

I want to do a partition of the disk, as eplained in the doc but what I have on the doc is not what happens in reality
can you tell me more about this problem and what iso means? operating system ??
thank you

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Where did you get the cds for Mandrake 10?

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-22
OP

Quote:Where did you get the cds for Mandrake 10?I bought it in a supermarket in France (as I live there). the exat name is

"la nouvelle version de Mandrake Linux"
"Linux CD#7"
"10.0 Mandrake Linux Community"

that I translate by:

"the new Mandrake Linux version"
"Linux CD#7"
"10.0 Mandrake Linux Community"
"may 2004"
It cost me abou 8 dollars/euros

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Unfortunately, I have no idea what this is. You may wish considering buying the distro, which is very cheap at Linux Cd.org Especially if you do not have access to a cdrw drive and the ability to burn downladed iso images. I recently bought Suse 9.0 there and was very satified. Shipping is cheap. I can't remember where it was shipped from, but something tells me it was France.

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-22
OP

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICES. I will look for it