install RedHat Linux 9 with Windows 2000

Hi, I am new to Linux and trying to install Red Hat 9. I have Windows 2000 on NTFS and 5 GB free partition for Linux. I have put LILO in MBR. I am able to install ie. no error messages, however, it does not give me the option for Dual boot and goes directly to Windows.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-01
Hi,

I am new to Linux and trying to install Red Hat 9.

I have Windows 2000 on NTFS and 5 GB free partition for Linux.

I have put LILO in MBR.
I am able to install ie. no error messages, however, it does not give me the option for Dual boot and goes directly to Windows.
Default boot was selected as Linux.
I have not created a Boot Disk.

Thank you.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
It's been a while since I've had to do it, but if you put the install cd back in and choose "upgrade" rather than install, it will take you through the same process except it won't install any packages. This way, you can retry to install the bootloader correctly. Tell it that Windows is on hda1, which is where it usually is. Just take your time with it and you'll figure it out. Good Luck, and let us know how you come out.

data/avatar/default/avatar31.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-02
I know exactly where the problem is and I am very sure about it because I have had the same problem -the reason is that you are running NTFS you need FAT31 since Linux doesn't work under NTFS- you need to format your whole HDD using partition magic or fdisk under FAT and install WIN2K and use fdisk or Partition magic to create your swap and vfat and install whatever distribution you wish to good luck

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Before you go re-formatting the hard drive, especially if you have a lot of important effort into XP (programs and such), try Dan's suggestion. If this does not work, you can also use the XP bootloader to load RedHat. If you have access to PartitionMagic, you have other possibilities as well, if Dan's suggestion fails.

Depends on how much you want to get into this and how comfortable you are in implementing a solution. Let us know how it goes, or what you would like to try.

Another possibility is to do the upgrade and tell RedHat that you want to install Lilo on a floppy. This way you can play with Redhat, without worrying about messing with bootloaders right away. When you are comfortable with it, then we can address the dual boot issue.

But 99% of the time the dual boot works right off. You are obviously one of the folks where something went wrong.

Just to get some more information, did you defrag your XP partition befoe installing RedHat? This is sometimes the issue. Failures can occur when this step is not taken first. Before installing any Linux flavor, it is wise to defrag first.