Internet set up problem on Mandrake 10.1

Hello I am new to linux and have installed a copy of Mandrake 10. 1 communuty edition and I have been having problems setting up my internet connection I am using an alcatel Speed Touch ADSL and am with Wanadoo broadband when I go through the connection setup It detects my modem but when I run the test it says it i ...

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-11-06
Hello I am new to linux and have installed a copy of Mandrake 10.1 communuty edition and I have been having problems setting up my internet connection I am using an alcatel Speed Touch ADSL and am with Wanadoo broadband when I go through the connection setup It detects my modem but when I run the test it says it is not connected. any soloution to this problem would be greatly appreciated

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
So you are running a cable directly from the ADSL modem into your computer? What type NIC is it connected to? Have you had this connection working with Windows? Are you presently using a router?

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
I had the same problem with Mandrake. I am on dsl that requires a log on 'name' and pw (PPPoe). I did eventually get it working but the icon in the system tray claimed I 'was not connected to the network'. That sure was strange 'cause I was using the browser testing out the media player at a free sample xxx video site (heh heh). I took mandrake off my machine but if you 'dig' deep enough and find where to put the 'username' and pw, it did get me online with all the other settings still default.

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

36 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-30
Can you ping any sites outside your local domain ( yahoo.com for example ) Note that some ISPs block ping so be aware of that.

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-04-12
i have been haveing some problems also i have tryed everything
nothing works i am useing dsl through a on board eathernet card
i have tryed setting it up as a lan and adsl and nothing seames to work
can someone please give me some advice thanks
ps
i cannot ping nothing i have tryed to ping yahoo and other sites