Mandrake 10.1 help me please

Hi everyone, i am new to linux and heard it was a nice OS i have no experiance with linux though, but i want to install Mandrake 10. 1 on my Windows XP machine. Is this a good OS to start out with. Also how easy is it to understand, like i said i have never used Linux but now want to try it, i've used Windows XP an ...

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar38.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-11
Hi everyone, i am new to linux and heard it was a nice OS i have no experiance with linux though, but i want to install Mandrake 10.1 on my Windows XP machine. Is this a good OS to start out with. Also how easy is it to understand, like i said i have never used Linux but now want to try it, i've used Windows XP and 98 all my life. When i install Mandrake do i have to install all new drivers and stuff, or do i just put the CD's in and it sets everything up for me? I would greatly appreciate any comments from anyone please.Email all comments to Truewiccan4ever@yahoo.com. Thank you for the help.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar30.webp

237 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-14
I am quite new to Linux, myself, but have had wonderful success with Mandrake 10.1. I started out trying SUSE but every time I installed it, my system would freeze up after a few seconds and require a restart. I then tried Mandrake 10.0, which worked perfectly. I purchased Mandrake 10.1 PowerPack and could not be happier. Overall, I did not have a single driver problem. I merely let Mandrake install as it wished to do. Of course, I am only running Mandrake Linux on this computer. I removed Windows completely. I had worked with MS operating systems since DOS 5.0 and was using Windows XP Pro when I made the switch. I would not go back. Prepare yourself for some frustration as you learn how a different file system works, different terminology and such, but with a good group as we have on this forum, you'll get all the help you need. Just ask and someone will sure help! I've not found anything I can't run on Linux that I ran on Windows. Different programs, different names....but I can do the same things. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help here.

-zenarcher

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
Welcome Linuxprobie!

Ditto what zenarcher said. Anyone who wants to try Linux coming from a Windows environment should say this in the mirror ten times:

Linux is not Windows!

This should be obvious, but most new users coming from Windows seem to expect that Linux is just another version of Windows and then get very frustrated when it isn't.

If however, you have patience, and realize your gonna make mistakes, Linux is fascinating, engaging, and as far as I'm concerned, superior to Windows in every way.