Mandrake 10.1 install woes

I am trying to install mandrake 10. 1 on my dell 5150 laptop. I get through the install with 3 cds and it tells me that I'm done and to reboot into linux. However, when it reboots it goes through the bios check and determines things, but when it gets to the hard drive it stops.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-11
I am trying to install mandrake 10.1 on my dell 5150 laptop. I get through the install with 3 cds and it tells me that I'm done and to reboot into linux. However, when it reboots it goes through the bios check and determines things, but when it gets to the hard drive it stops. The error I get is

"hdc: max requst 1028 KiB
hdc lost interrupt
....."
it keeps repeating the lost interrupt statement over and over.

Please is there anything I can do. I have tried reinstalling 6! different times.

Thanks for the help.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-11
OP
OK I got mandrake 10.1 to install by checking force no apci. But now I have another problem. I cannot shutdown my computer via the start menu. The only options given to me when I click logout is to logout. Isn't there supposed to be a shutdown option and restart? Do I have to enable something or download a package to do it?

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
When you click on log out does it take you back out to KDM,(the sign in manager thingie?). If so, look in the menus there and you will find the shutdown option. If logging out doesn't take you kdm and instead takes you to a prompt, I think you can log out by going:

halt [enter]

Or:

halt -p [enter]

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-11
OP
I tried the halt command from konsole and it shutdown my computer (thanks for the tip) but for some reason when I log out of KDE and get to the login screen there is the option to reboot, halt, or login, though the only one that I can select is login. The other two are greyed out. Is thie normal.

Another question I have is whenever I boot up and login the clock is always wrong even when I reset it and save.

Sorry for the noob questions, but this is my first linux install.