Mandriva Linuz 2005 Ltd Edition SOS

I am a complete novice in the world of Linux, so I am just after a bit of help installing getting the Linux o/s to work. On the installation of the three Cds the second one was causing problems and In was getting error messages which seem/may have caused me problems.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-01
I am a complete novice in the world of Linux, so I am just after a bit of help installing getting the Linux o/s to work.

On the installation of the three Cds the second one was causing problems and In was getting error messages which seem/may have caused me problems. When the o/s boots it goes into a black screen asking me for login then password which is succesful then it asks for something like a hostid$ which I dont the answer to & therefore I am unable to get any further. I am going to try and get another cd2 to see if that helps although I dont know how to do a clean install from the start again, does anyone know the answers to the above problems? and lastly will I be able to use my WiFi.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
If you got error messages with the 2nd cd, then most likely the cd was burned incorrectly.

ISO images need to be burned at a slow speed, say 4X. Also, make sure that you burn them as an image, not data.

See my burning iso article here.

Once you have good burns, then try the installation again.

Is this a total takeover installation of the system, or are you dual booting with Windows XP?

In terms of the wifi, you need to be very specific. There are tons of cards out there, some supported easily, some not.

Please post the make, model and revision of the wifi card. The revision is important, as even the same card with a different revision may have a specific chipset that it uses.

data/avatar/default/avatar30.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-08-27
Ok, first, you should tell us your error message about the hostid$ thing.

About the installation: you are right, it is surely the unreadable part of the second cd that makes your distribution goes wrong.

What about trying a new installation ?

Also, where did you get the CDs ? If you get those by someone: ask him/her if (s)he got problems installing it. If not, try with those 'originals' cds.

If you downloaded them, check the .iso file of the cd2.

You should 'check' by doing a md5sum of .iso file, and check the result with the official md5summ. which is : aba5615830ecf189fc143f6c91128124

use the command "md5sum Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD2.i586.iso" to get the result (may take some minutes to calculate)

Hope this help..