Newbie, Sagem Fast 800 modem, ADSL, won't work!

Hi, I am completely new to Linux and have downloaded and installed Mandrake 10. 0 from ISO. It came on 3 CD's and installed perfectly. However it won't 'see' my Sagem Fast 800 ADSL modem. As i said i am a newbie and apart from the odd 'ls', 'cd' and maybe an odd 'chmod', i know little about linux.

Linux Networking 361 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-08
Hi,
I am completely new to Linux and have downloaded and installed Mandrake 10.0 from ISO. It came on 3 CD's and installed perfectly. However it won't 'see' my Sagem Fast 800 ADSL modem.

As i said i am a newbie and apart from the odd 'ls', 'cd' and maybe an odd 'chmod', i know little about linux. I am not a Windows or PC novice, just Linux.

I have seen some stuff about mgmt.o and a really tekky solution, but i couldn't manage to do it. I did check the com patibility for it on this site and someone says it does work with Mandrake 9.1, so i would have assomed mandrake 10 would see it?

Anyway, could someone please explain how to solve this i feel really limited by having no internet access in Linux. Would changing to another Linux version help?

Thanks in advance and remember when answering that i'm a newbie. I can follow instructions provided i can understand them!

P.S.: My email is fantom5497@yahoo.co.uk and thanks again

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-08
OP
Hi,
So the verdict is 'send it packin'?
When you say some modems work straight outta the box, which ones, i mean whats my best option from here? I need constant internet access, so sending the modem back is out of the question, For now, til i get a new one, then i can unplug it and send it packin.
Until then i'm gonna start a thread to get some people with similar problems to put a little pressure on Sagem or Tiscali or both. I have seen a lot of people having the same problem.
Now i need help with my ATI Radeon 9600 AGP, so see you on the next thread!
And thanks again to everyone who typed a few words for me.

Richy Browne...
[Linux Idiot]

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
Richy, have a look at this page. The Netgear ADSL modem/router looks pretty promising. We use a regular Netgear router combined with a seperate ADSL modem at my business and it works very well. Netgear seems to be on the ball with Linux. Just to be safe, I'd stay away from anything USB. Let me be clear: You have ADSL by way of a cat 5 cable? If so, I think you could use just about any network interface card in combination with a router and ADSL modem.

Which makes ne think: You say you're already using this Sagem ADSL modem in conjunction with Windows XP and everything is working right? Does the Sagem possibly have a cat5 slot "out" somehere? If so, it would probably work if you ran cat 5 from your modem to a router, and then to your box. Do you know anyone who has a Netgear or Linksys wired, (or wireless) router you could borrow? Many more will work with Linux, it's just I know these two will.

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

336 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-09
I think fantom is being quite intrepid and has installed linux on the same system as
what was running winXP and the Sagem ADSL modem.

DDan what you're suggesting is what I'd recommend: use the winXP box for stable connectivity
and add linux to a 'lab rat' system connected over a network to the winXP box.