No sound running Linux on a Fujitsu Lifebook C353

I have been successful running Mandrake 10. 1, RedHat 9. 0 and Lycoris DesktopLX. But I can not get sound so work, can anyone help? Thanks Campie.

Linux Hardware 765 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar19.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-04-09
I have been successful running Mandrake 10.1, RedHat 9.0 and Lycoris DesktopLX. But I can not get sound so work, can anyone help?

Thanks

Campie

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Wow, is the Fujitsu site hard to get information on, or what?

Anyway, one thing I need to ask, is did you set the sound card up when you installed Mandrake (during the installation)?

One simple possible problem. Check to see that the sound is not muted and that the volume is set all the way up in your mixer window.

I'm going to guess that RedHat 9 is using the OSS sound system, while Mandrake is using Alsa. So, you may have different sound system software for tose two distros, which means potentually two different solutions.

Try running alsamixer in a root console while in Mandrake. Make sure that the sound is not muted and the sound is all the way up on all channels. Often the sound is muted, or the volume turned down by default.

You apparently have an old Soundblaster Pro card in this system. Can you confirm this by consulting the owners manual?

If the above does not work, we can try a few things. But also let us know what GUI that you are using, Gnome, or KDE?