Nvidia drivers break Xfree 4.2.1 in debian Sid

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up on this one. If you use the nvidia drivers from nvidia and have upgraded xfree to version 4. 2. 1. . . . . Anytime you try to logout, reboot, or switch to any virtual terminal it completely freezes up your machine!!!!.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar40.webp

118 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-08
Just thought I would give everyone a heads up on this one. If you use the nvidia drivers from nvidia and have upgraded xfree to version 4.2.1.....

Anytime you try to logout, reboot, or switch to any virtual terminal it completely freezes up your machine!!!!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

53 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-21
Doesn't happen with Mandrake Linux 9....

Anyway XFree86 4.3 will be released sometime in January - an important and interesting upgrade. Guess I'll wait until then .

data/avatar/default/avatar40.webp

118 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-08
OP
yup, i used the latest drivers, actually tried about three different versions of the drivers, all with the same result. But when I went back to the nv driver from xfree the problem disappeared. Very strange indeed.

data/avatar/default/avatar38.webp

16 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-10-06
I have a Riva TNT2 Video Card (AGP), and Mandrake 9.0. When I tried to install the NVIDIA drivers with XFree 4.2.1, everything seemed fine until I started XWindows. It showed the NVIDIA boot logo, and just sat there. I gave it half an hour, and tried to exit using every different key combo I could think of. Finally, I hard reset the computer, and when it started to come back up I got a kernel panic and ended up having to reinstall the whole OS. Any suggestions, tips, useful observations? I followed the NVIDIA installation instructions to the letter. I know my video card sucks, but I'm in college, I just got engaged, and I don't have extra money to spend on stuff like that (yet). Thanks for any and all help!

Feel free to IM me if you have any tips, cause I might not check the boards for another couple of days.