problems with 2.6.11-1.35 kernel

I'm intending to switch over to Fedora Core 4 from FC3 so I got a portable hard disk to backup my 5 GB+ worth of files and documents. I was worried that my portable HDD wouldn't work but was really relieved when I plugged it in yesterday and it auto-mounted like a flash drive.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-06
I'm intending to switch over to Fedora Core 4 from FC3 so I got a portable hard disk to backup my 5 GB+ worth of files and documents. I was worried that my portable HDD wouldn't work but was really relieved when I plugged it in yesterday and it auto-mounted like a flash drive. However, this morning I upgraded to the 2.6.11-1.35 kernel and now the portable HDD won't auto-mount. When I tried to manual mount, I got a msg saying " fat32 is not supported by kernel" or something like that. I tried to us my old kernel but it wouldn't boot up. Got an error msg "kernel panic".Can anyone help me out here? I really need my HDD to backup.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

305 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-08-30
Try using diff to comparing your kernel config files. you may just need to add support for fat32 to the new kernel.

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Can you post your /etc/fstab file contents?

What commands did you try to manually mount the drive? something like...

mount -t vfat /dev/<location of drive>...

...and the portable disk device is USB?

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-06
OP
I installed the 2.6.9 kernel and my external HDD works fine in it. Weird. I thought the newer kernel is supposed to work better than the older one.