SATA RAID With Mandrake 10.1

I seem to have created quite a challenge for myself, being new to Linux and completely unfamiliar with RAID, at the same time. I really need some help here. I have installed a pair of SATA hard drives in my system (WD800JD) 80 Gig 7200 RPM.

Linux Hardware 765 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar30.webp

237 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-14
I seem to have created quite a challenge for myself, being new to Linux and completely unfamiliar with RAID, at the same time. I really need some help here. I have installed a pair of SATA hard drives in my system (WD800JD) 80 Gig 7200 RPM. My motherboard is an MSI KT6V, using the VT8237 for RAID. I have 512M of RAM. I read on another forum that many people were having a problem, as that specific WD hard drive could not be recognized by the VT8237, I seem to be fortunate, in this respect, as both were immediately recognized and properly identified. I was able to set them up just fine. I want to set them up as a RAID0 array. After doing so in BIOS, I attempted to install Mandrake Linux Powerpack 10.1. This would not work, but I found that I must disable APIC in the BIOS. After doing so, all seemed well.

I then booted the computer with the first Mandrake disk, to install. Immediately, Mandrake installed the drivers for the VT8237. The install process went along just fine...everything appeared normal. At completion of the install, Mandrake advised me to remove all disks and reboot, which I did. The system went through the BIOS fine..but when Mandrake goes to start, rather than starting, I merely see about half a screen full of the number "9". Nothing more.

I then went back and deleted the array and created a RAID1 array in the BIOS. I reinstalled Mandrake, VT8237 drivers installed fine, as did the disks. At the end of the install, I removed all disks and rebooted. Mandrake works fine! No "9's" on the screen. Apparently, it works fine as a RAID1 array, as the problem is only with the RAID0 array.

Looking at the partitions when in RAID1 array, the first disk shows all the partitions. If I move to the second tab, the second drive is there, but no partitions appear. So, not knowing anything about RAID, I'm wondering if it's actually a mirror, as it's supposed to be in RAID1.

Anyway, I'm totally confused. I am a Linux noobe and even less skilled in RAID. This is my first attempt with RAID. I really would like to figure this out and use a RAID0 array.

As I say, in the BIOS and RAID setup, both hard drives appear...are named and serial numbers, size, etc. all are correct, so I believe they are working okay.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

237 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-14
OP
Good Morning blackpage. Well, I'm considering it all a learning experience! Obviously, my wife thinks I'm crazy. As I say, I have a couple of computers to build this week and will be waiting for the new Mandriva 2005 PowerPack to arrive, so I can start fresh and install it. I will set up the partitions and all, per the instructions you sent me. I'll be ready to go, once you have your new box there and can experiment a bit and maybe figure out the problem.

I do think everything went fine, up to the mv point. As I say, I could see the RAID drive in the partitions and drives section and the RAID drive with the correct size and all.

I did not get any errors when making the mv for /usr, that seemed to go fine, of course, no way to know for me, whether Mandrake was able to find /usr after that. I suspect not, as the errors occurred when I tried to perform the mv command for /bin, /home and anything else, since /usr was the first I did. At that point, all was lost....Mandrake couldn't find root or anything.

Keep me posted and I'll watch for you to let me know when you get your new box up and running..and hopefully, a Mandrake solution to this RAID setup.

Have a great day!
zenarcher

237 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-14
OP
Just wondering if blackpage has had a chance to try the SATA RAID configuration we were working on yet??

zenarcher

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

120 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-03-23
howdy zenarcher,

I informed you via PM that bits of the hardware for the new box have already arrived. If everything goes well, I should be ready willing and able to tackle the RAID issue over upcoming weekend. So stay tuned

cu

bp

237 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-14
OP
Hey blackpage,

Thanks so much! I suppose I'd have had to check for PM's. I've never received one, so I suppose I didn't look!!!

I'll stay tuned!!
zenarcher