SATA Sil3112. How to properly install OS with this driver?

I've looked through the rest of the SATA related posts but none of them seem to address the issue of running RAID0 with linux. In windows at the very start of the setup you can put down the SIL3112 driver and windows install will see the pair of drives as one large hard drive.

Linux Hardware 765 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

84 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-01
I've looked through the rest of the SATA related posts but none of them seem to address the issue of running RAID0 with linux. In windows at the very start of the setup you can put down the SIL3112 driver and windows install will see the pair of drives as one large hard drive. When I attempt to install Redhat 9(shrike) it sees them as seperate drives in the partitioning screen. I have all ready downloaded the drivers for the controller from Asus(my mbd is a a7n8x deluxe). These drivers only come in rpm form for rh7.3, rh7.3-athlon and suse8.0. In my experience most 7.3 compatable programs/drivers will work just fine with newer versions of redhat.

This brings me to the real question. Is there some way to install drivers for the sil3112 controller pre-setup? If so how is this to be done since no rpm dbase is available to install them into? If there's some other method please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar09.webp

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-29
hey, thanks for the help. I'm am using an nForce2 board, in fact. the Abit NF7-S. its an awesome board...

but I've already given up and pulled out my Serial to IDE converter. I might be sacrificing a bit of potential performance but i don't mind at this point. at least now I can have my SATA controller disabled which speeds up my boot time quite a bit because before the BIOS and the kernel had to both query the SATA controller for drives which takes several seconds for each of the 2 channels...

data/avatar/default/avatar09.webp

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-29
Good news. The Linux kernel performance issue with SiI 3112 SATA controllers is going to be fixed! Here is a message from the kernel maling list by Andre Hedrick who is working with Silicon Image to get the fix prepared and put into the kernel:

Quote:I have a scheduled fix prepared for release and review by SiI monday
morning (October 6th) 9AM Pacific time. Once it is cleared by SiI, it will be released
out to the masses.

I can only chortle over the issue of how attempts to replace me, and me
trying to escape the indenture servant slave of maintainership yet still
bound after nearly 6 years.

Will attempt to address the mod15b phy issues

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group