scanport model sq 4830

I picked this scanner up at a yard sale and I don't have the software for it. Does anyone know if it will work in Mandrake 10? Scanport Color SQ4830 Printer port (LPT) connection 30 Bit Any help would be appreciated.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar33.webp

60 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-22
I picked this scanner up at a yard sale and I don't have the software for it. Does anyone know if it will work in Mandrake 10?

Scanport Color SQ4830
Printer port (LPT) connection
30 Bit

Any help would be appreciated.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
A quick search on your scanner with Linux comes up completely empty. I don't think there's a way to get it working for you. Sorry..

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

397 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-13
Any scanner would have to be running under 'sane'. All of the supported devices are listed here.

http://www.sane-project.org/

I think Dan's right as I don't see it, but they do list a 4836. You might try that.

60 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-22
OP
Thanks for the link. It was helpfull. I am thinking it is going to be difficult if not impossible to get this one working. I am dual booting with XP so I think I will scan images there and I can always access them from with in linux if needed. I thought about trying it in wine but I am still really new to the whole compile, make process and don't feel comfortable with doing that yet. I am surprised I got wine installed without problems. LOL Hey I have only been using Linux for 4 days now so I think I am doing alright.

60 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-22
OP
Here is the information I was able to pull on the scanner in XP. It works great in XP by the way.

Device = Scanner 300A4 5.10
Type = SCSI Scanner
Host Adapter = OnSpec 90C26E Rev. 0x55
Position = HA:0, Tgt:5, LUN:0
Port = Enhanced parallel port at address 378
Throughput supported by the port
Read = 1239 Kb/sec
Write = 1127 Kb/sec

Like I said, it's not that big of a deal. I spent 2 hours last night trying to get this to work in Mandrake 10 but no luck. I am cursed with the fact that if I can't get something to work I have to pound away at it untill I get it. LOL Oh well, if anyone wants to take a stab at it.....

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

397 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-13
You need to make sure that sane is installed. Also recomend you install xsane.

This description is for a Epson scanner, but, was very useful in my understanding how to install and what files need to be edited.
The same principal should apply to all.
-----------------------------------
Scanning should work as described for the Epson Stylus CX3200 and CX5200, best with kernel 2.4.21 or later. To make the "epson" backend of SANE recognizing this device, you have to add a line like

usb 0x4b8 0x805

to the /etc/sane.d/epson.conf file where the two hexadecimal numbers are the vendor and product IDs of your scanner. You find the actual IDs in /proc/bus/usb/devices. Search for an entry for an Epson device (the model name can be different to "CX5400" as often the Epson devices report their japanese market name) and in the line beginning with "P" directly above the line with the manufacturer name you find the hexadecimal vendor and product IDs.
------------------------------------

60 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-22
OP
Sounds like that process is for a usb device. Mine is a parallel port.