SIS 7012 works, but on play it frozes

Hi all I have a Silicon Integrated System SiS7012 sound card, in a SonyVaio grt100, and redhat 9, and my sound card is working, i can change the volume, and the speaker's too, but if i play a sound file it plays just the first second, and then it get's frozen.

Linux Hardware 765 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
Hi all

I have a Silicon Integrated System SiS7012 sound card, in a SonyVaio grt100, and redhat 9, and my sound card is working, i can change the volume, and the speaker's too, but if i play a sound file it plays just the first second, and then it get's frozen.

This modules ar inserted:
i810_audio 27720 1 (autoclean)
ac97 5088 0 (unused)
ac97_codec 13640 0 (autoclean) [i810_audio]
soundcore 6404 2 (autoclean) [i810_audio]

Please help, i need that sound
Thanks
Julius

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

84 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-01
Threw the model number in google, came up with this link. http://www.infosys.tuwien.ac.at/Staff/tom/SiS7012/

"The SiS7012 patches have now been integrated into the standard linux kernel (version 2.4.18 ). Just enable Intel i810 audio support and everything should work perfectly fine."

I dont believe the default RH9 kernel is 2.4.18 I think you need to get the 2.4.18 kernel through the redhat network updater. Might want to make sure to do that before moving ahead.

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
OP
Quote:Threw the model number in google, came up with this link. http://www.infosys.tuwien.ac.at/Staff/tom/SiS7012/

"The SiS7012 patches have now been integrated into the standard linux kernel (version 2.4.18 ). Just enable Intel i810 audio support and everything should work perfectly fine."

I dont believe the default RH9 kernel is 2.4.18 I think you need to get the 2.4.18 kernel through the redhat network updater. Might want to make sure to do that before moving ahead.

The redhat 9 has the folowing kernel:
2.4.20-8

i think thats a little bit biger then 2.4.18
The problem is that my card is working, and the i810_audio module is loaded, just when i push the play button after the first second my box gets frozen.

Hope this means something to You while i don't know what to do.
Thanks Julius

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
OP
RESOLVED

I have resolved the problem, (sorry) i just found the solution for this problem, while the problem was resolved by the kernel team THANKS PEOPLES

You need to download the latest stable kernel-2.4.21 and apply the 2.4.21-bk15 patch to it, and all will work without any problem.

Enjoy
I dooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :x 8) 8)

data/avatar/default/avatar21.webp

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
I have the same problem as you with the Sis sound card.

I have kernel:
2.4.20-19.9

I guess it's not new enough ethier. Where/how do you update it?

I just updated with the redhat network and this is the newest kernel.

Thanks,

Stinger

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
k, I think i found where to get the Kernel:
www.kernel.org
..that was easy.

But, how do I patch?
Shoud I patch, or download the whole source?

Stinger

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
OP
hi Stinger

Ok, so You need to download the full kernel-2.4.21 and than the patch ( http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/snapshots/patch-2.4.21-bk21.bz2) and apply to the kernel. First run
gzip -d patch-2.4.21-bk21.bz2
and than go into the kernel directory (kernel-2.4.21) and run the patch like this:
patch -p1 < /path/tothe/patch-2.4.21-bk21

Now it should work.

If You still have problems, just write, or if You like download the new redhat-beta, it has the new 2.4.21 kernel in it, and it's working fine.

Hope helps
Julius

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
ok, got it.

Now, how to I load the kernel.

i'm using crub as my bootloader and have:
<snip>
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-19.9)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-19.9 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-19.9.img

I assume I put the new bzImage on the kernel line but what about the initrd?

Stinger

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
OP
huha i realy don't now it, i use lilo, and i install the kernel with make install, and it does everything for me. I compile the kernel like this:
make menuconfig
make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install && make install
and the make install command creates all my initrd and other things, and writes to the lilo.conf too, mybe it will do the same with the grub just try the make install, i think it will not damage anything if is not working.

Julius

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
k, i'll try it.

I also noticed that there is an SiS 7012 selection in the "Sound" section. (I used "make xconfig").

I guess you have to click "y" on that, then compile, so i'm recompiling. Then i'll just try what you suggested to see what it does.

Talk to ya later.

Stinger.

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
...by the way, if you haven't already noticed, i've never recompiled the kernel before.

Thanks for you help. I feel as though i'm getting somewhere. Although, no sound yet

Stinger....

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
OP
i hope You will get the sound to work i was getting creazy without sound :x but now i have it

Just a litle thing, You need to compile the Sis7012 as a module and not as a part of the kernel, i don't now if it will work thatway too, but i now that if You compile like a module it will

To compile just read the original config file, so You don't need to make any changes in the menuconfig or xconfig, i think You can found it in the /boot directory as config-2.4.20-19.9 and load it by selecting in the make menuconfig "Load alternate config file" (i think), and point to the /boot/config-2.4.20-19.9 (if You have) and save it, and make dep ....... and everything should work fine.

I wish You sound 8)
Julius

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
make install did fix my Grub ok except for one thing. I got kernel panic cannot mount root (root=LABEL=/)

I had to change (root=LABEL=/) in my grub.conf to the actual partition (root=/dev/hda1)

Once i did this, it booted, but with some errors including "kernel doesn't support ext3" which is what my drive is formated as.

I guess I have to do more config than i thought to the kernel.

But, it's 11:15 pm my time. Gotta head to bed and work tomorrow.
I made progress though, so that's good. Will have to finish tomorrow.

I'll let ya know how i make out

Stinger
stinger_hot@hotmail.com

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
No Go....

I loaded my existing kernel config from the /boot folder and compiled that one. The errors seemed to be gone, but the mouse didn't work. My keyboard skills for KDE are nill. Not a problem with windows, but I don't yet know how to manuvore in KDE with only the keyboard. The sound may have been working i guess, but couldn't really test it without the mouse .

Stinger.....

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
OP
What type of mouse do you have? and is gpm runing? and by starting the box have You some errors? have you mouse under console? I will recomand to get a kernel in rpm format, i think that now each kernel that is biger then 2.4.21 will work with the sound card. Try the redhat 10 beta it works.

Cheers
Julius

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

989 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-14
Or you could wait a few more days (August 5, they're timing it to coincide with LinuxWorld) and get the Gentoo 1.4 final It works better.

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
where about's can you download redhat 10 beta?

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
I'm not sure what the "Gentoo 1.4 final" is??

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

989 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-14
Severn's version number is something like 9.0.93, right? Are they planning on pulling the same stunt with 9.1 -> 10 that they did with 8.1 -> 9.0 where they release a .1 beta and then make a full digit jump? I sure as to hell hope not...