SIS 7012 works, but on play it frozes

Hi all I have a Silicon Integrated System SiS7012 sound card, in a SonyVaio grt100, and redhat 9, and my sound card is working, i can change the volume, and the speaker's too, but if i play a sound file it plays just the first second, and then it get's frozen.

Linux Hardware 765 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
Hi all

I have a Silicon Integrated System SiS7012 sound card, in a SonyVaio grt100, and redhat 9, and my sound card is working, i can change the volume, and the speaker's too, but if i play a sound file it plays just the first second, and then it get's frozen.

This modules ar inserted:
i810_audio 27720 1 (autoclean)
ac97 5088 0 (unused)
ac97_codec 13640 0 (autoclean) [i810_audio]
soundcore 6404 2 (autoclean) [i810_audio]

Please help, i need that sound
Thanks
Julius

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
OP
Yes, is 9.0.93 but i don't know if they will jump to 10 or not, i hope too that not, i love the numbers < 10 so bether 9.1 than 10

data/avatar/default/avatar21.webp

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
I installed RH10 on a test machine at work (not yet on the machine with the sound problem).

I don't think i want to use a beta because there never seems to be any rpms.
I frequently use freshrpms.net, apt, and synaptec there isn't a section for RH10.

The first thing I did when i installed RH10 was install an FTP
client (GFTP). The RPM installed but when i ran it, GFTP came up, and froze.

I installed from source, same thing.
The first thing i tried to do game me problems!!!

....guess that's why good ol' billy gates always comes out ahead. It's crap software, but it works.

I'm not to advanced with Linux for a desktop OS so I don't think i'll stick with the RH10.

I don't want to solve 1 problem (sound), and have 10 more

Thanks anyways guys!!

Stinger..............

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
OP
Hi Stinger

First: there is no RedHat 10 out there, the redhat that You installed is 9.0.93 and is a BETA and we say for not stable releases: "Install in your one risck" so nowhere says that it will work without any problemes, it is a test version, this will become sometimes redhat 10 i think, but right now it is a beta.

and about the rpms: i use the rpms from the freshrpms site and other sites that are compiled under redhat 9 and everything works fine for me, it's more stable that redhat 9 (for me)

i use gftp too, but for me it newer frozes, i don't know what can be wrong, but i'm sure that it will be resolved in the Official RedHat 10 release .........

I think You can resolve the sound card problem if You just install the new kernel rpm-s from rawhide to the redhat 9 box, and i think it will be stable to.

Cheers
Julius

DONT USE WINDOWS please

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
hehe.. i'm really, really trying hard not to use Windows. Although, i've never had a problem getting Windows to work with anything which makes it hard not to just go back to it.

I've been using linux for my desktop for almost a year now. I just upgraded to a 2.2G intel cell with Asus P4S8X-X and when i installed RH9, no sound. My last PC worked fine!!! everything worked after the install and never had problems cept a lil sluggish.

I don't have the old one anymore though

Stinger.....

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
I tried to seach and find out, but i'm not to sure what you mean by "Rawhide" kernel.
I'm not sure what it is, or where to get it.
Is rawhide a different version of Redhat, or a different version of the kernel?
Or, is rawhide a site to get kernels from?

Sorry, but i guess i'm not as familiar as i thought with this linux stuff.

Stinger...

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-08
OP
Not a problem Stinger, i'm sorry that i don't explain things very well.

Now: RawHide is the most updated redhat distribution (exp. epiphany released yesterday the 0.8.2 ver, and today you can download the rpm from the rawhide directory:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/ so this version of the redhat is the most updated) now the kernel packages are:
kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl.i686.rpm
where the i686/i386/athlon are the type of your processor. So, install a redhat9 and then download this kernel and install it with
rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl.i686.rpm
and run
lilo
and restart Your box, and select at the boot the new kernel, it will be called:
Kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1
i think. After this You sound card shold work, and the mouse too, but if not wait for the redhat 10 release x)

Remember: it is faster if You select a mirror and use that as to use the redhat ftp (ti is very busy) http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

Enjoy

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
Installed the kernel but the X server wouldn't boot. It crashed with "Caught Signal 11" or something like that. I guess i'll have to wait for the new RedHat.

I left a 5 gig partition for dual booting windows so i'll stick with that for now.

Thanks for trying!!

Stinger.....

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-30
I got an empty hard drive and installed the redhat beta (severn), but sound still doesn't work.
Also, it still works fine in Windows.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Stinger....

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-11-24
I have just joined the forum. So, in case I make some mistake, please do't feel. I have also got the same sis7012 on board video controller. In my case, On Redhat 8, it plays sample sounds, it can play all real player files from the net, but it wo'nt play audio cds. We can see the lights flashing on the drive and counter movement on the screen, but without any sound. There is no internal cable problem as it is ok with xp. Please advise.