usb

does anyone know how to add a usb device to linux? you c i had a usb device and attached it to my linux box but i do not know how to mount it, i dont even know if linux has detected it?? what shall i do???

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar26.webp

151 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-12-23
does anyone know how to add a usb device to linux?
you c i had a usb device and attached it to my linux box but i do not know how to mount it, i dont even know if linux has detected it?? what shall i do???

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar24.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-25
it depends on your kernel and supporting software.
you need modules:
usbcore
uhci
ehci
usb_storage (which need to have support for your reader/flash devices)
and support for the files system the device is formated in -- (cameras and such are usually dos or vfat or some ms hash)

you should be able to see the device when these modules are loaded or builtin and the device is attached, as /dev/sda if this special device did not previously exist otherwise /dev/sdb or what have you.

you would mount it (if you didn't make a desktop link):

mount -t vfat /dev/sda* /yourdirectory

*****note: the usbfs may need to be mounted, this usually mounts a boottime

kernels 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 have a new ub device that is autodetected much better and r/w's faster and more reliably.
2.6.9 is a whack job though stick with 2.6.10.

data/avatar/default/avatar26.webp

151 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-12-23
OP
my kernel is 2.6, my OS is fedora core 2. I did not change my kernel. I did not upgrade my kernel. My kernel is as is when i first installed my os.

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-06
To check out whether ur usb devices are detected, you can get this software called usbview.

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
jarves, Fedora Core 2 automatically detects USB drives. Is this a reader/writer stick? If so, Fedora should automount it when you plug it in. It will get mounted in /mnt, look there. If you are using Gnome or KDE it should present itself right on your desktop.

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

19 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-19
I want to add a USB key device. I tried out somethings i read on the web, but all i got was a desktop item that says: "Hard Disk (sda1)(not mounted)".

Does anyone know how to get a USB stick working on mandrake 9.1? Thanks