Wireless : Broadcom on Compaq Presario R3000T

Hello, I'm very new to Linux I just set up a dual boot xp/Mandrake 10 on my new Compaq Presario R3000T notebook. I've got most everything working with mandrake so far, but haven't been able to get online.

Linux Hardware 765 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar31.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-08
Hello,

I'm very new to Linux -- I just set up a dual boot xp/Mandrake 10 on my new Compaq Presario R3000T notebook.

I've got most everything working with mandrake so far, but haven't been able to get online. I have a Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g network adapter, and a 1394 Net Adapter. I'm not sure what the latter is for, but thought I might as well mention it.

I'm trying to find out how to make it work-- I went to Broadcom's driver page, there are no drivers for this model. I emailed them and they told me to talk to Compaq. So I emailed support at Compaq and this is what I get ::

Quote:Dear Frizzo, 
The Presario computer is designed to run with Windows XP operating system, which is factory installed. I understand that you have installed Linux and would like the compatible drivers for Wireless device for your Linux operating system. We are unable to provide you with the compatible drivers and regret the inconvenience caused.

What next??! I don't want to have to send this thing back for a refund... I'm sure there has to be a way? Can someone please help?

Thanks
Frizzo

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

19 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-28
I got that wireless card on my hp Pavilion. Im using http://www.linuxant.com software and works perfectly fine, just follow the instructions. In case that you have problems with it, try to use the last version of Mepis, thats is the distro that I'm using and almost everything work perfectly just type "linux acpi=off" to prevent the freezing.

One question what option do you enter to stop the freezing with mandrakes installation?

data/avatar/default/avatar31.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-08
OP
freezing??

I didn't experience any freezing problems?

thanks for the link, i'm checking it out...

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-21
Hi,
I've got the same problem that you. I spoke with compaq support guy at the online support chat and he recommend the following driver:

http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/madwifi/madwifi-20030802.tgz

http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wiki/FrontPage

They was clear that Compaq doesn't support any problem about this drivers, but it can work. I got this one and will test tomorrow.

The adapter 1394 is you firewire port. I didn't get it working and with Debian because my laptop freeze on boot.

Regards.
Fabio

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

336 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-09
(frizzo: the 1394 Net Adapter is your ieee1394 aka Firewire interface)

Marbin, famorim, hamade: yeah, you've got it right collectively..
the Compaq support guy was trying to be helpful but was flat wrong...

there are no Broadcom chipset drivers available for Linux. Just Windows.

your choices are DriverLoader (by Linuxant) or ndiswrapper (probably already included
in the Mepis distro) and use the 'bcmwl5a.inf' file.

I use ndiswrapper with both a miniPCI and a PC Card (cardbus) wlan card having
the Broadcom 54g chipset.

Marbin: you may find 'acpi=noirq' is enough to turn off only the problematic part
of ACPI but leave the useful parts enabled.